The most widespread standard to building a house that doesn’t require a centralised heating system comes from the Passive House Institute in Germany. Here are the basic precepts.
This article covers:
- What is a passive house
- How to design a passive house
- How to certify a passive house
- What heating systems are most common in a passive house
- What other key elements to include when building a passive house
- The technical requirements of a passive house, including insulation, airtightness and ventilation targets
- How to tackle overheating
- Can you have a fire?