Insulation types

There are many different types of insulation, from highly efficient plastic based products to natural alternatives. Here are your options in Ireland.

In this article we cover:

  • Choice between roll or batts
  • What on the menu: insulation types
  • Performance indicators for each type of insulation product
  • Applications, pros and cons for each
  • Other things to consider before choosing the insulation type


Written by Astrid Madsen

Astrid Madsen is the editor of the SelfBuild magazine. She previously held the same role in an Irish trade publication, before that she worked at the National Standards Authority of Ireland. She graduated with a BA in Urban Studies from Columbia University in New York and holds an MBA from the Instituto de Estudios Bursatiles in Madrid. France of origin, she now lives in Portarlington, County Laois, where she's taken on the task of renovating a listed building! Email

ICF The New Standard in Construction

Jonathan Ballantine, Ballantine Building Solutions

Renovating a 100-year-old semi-d in Co Antrim