Laura and Ronan Campbell built themselves a house on Ronan’s parents’ laneway. Here they chat about:
- Difficulties with planning permission and why they had to leave a deposit with the local authority for three years.
- How they made a narrow site work with their design vision.
- Choice of steel frame construction and challenges building the house.
- Delays (due to windows and Covid) and how they affected the build.
- Choosing finishes that look the part and saved money.
- How much DIY they did and their top tips for others considering building a laneway house.
- Budget considerations and how they kept a lid on costs.
- Main headaches and what they would do differently.
Read more about their project on https://selfbuild.ie/project/dublin-laneway-house/