Build it for Andy

Andy with fiancé Adam and their two children

Atown in County Laois has come together to
build a family home for a local rugby player
with a life threatening illness.

Andrea (Andy) Broughan, who used to play with the PortDara Falcons, has been busy designing her family home and picking colours from her hospital bed in Dublin convalescing from two cerebral strokes.

Andy has been battling a series of medical conditions since she was diagnosed with meningitis in February 2020.

The community around her has pulled together to help her fiancé Adam and two young children, Evan and Elena, build a family home that will be accessible to Andy’s needs.

Local businesses have donated materials such as slates, insulated
plasterboard, blocks and cement, roof coverings and tiles, while local tradesmen have donated their time to run services and fit out the house.

The family is aiming to raise €40,000 through the gofundme page on Facebook @builditforandy. The page has received nearly €30,000 in donations since it was set up in March.

According to the organisers that amount will cover 20 per cent of the cost of building the house, fully furnished. The remaining 80 per cent has been gifted in labour and materials.

What do you think?

Written by Astrid Madsen

Astrid Madsen is the editor of SelfBuild & Improve Your Home magazine. She previously held the same role in an Irish trade publication, before that she worked at the National Standards Authority of Ireland. She graduated with a BA in Urban Studies from Columbia University in New York and holds an MBA from the Instituto de Estudios Bursatiles in Madrid. France of origin, she now lives in Portarlington, County Laois, where she's taken on the task of renovating a listed building! Email astrid.madsen@selfbuild.ie

At the movies

H&S practical guide: Self-builders’ health and safety checklist