Barry McCarron, Chairman of the Passive House Association of Ireland, chats about doing up his family to make it energy efficient, including:
- Going from a bungalow to an A rated home
- Cost details and how it compared to building new
- What is the fabric first approach
- What are the main types of insulation? Where are each best used?
- How much insulation is enough: cost optimal amount to install
- Why is airtightness important?
- How to install insulation and airtightness correctly
- The benefits of following a set standard like the passive house standard
- What the future of house building and retrofitting looks like
More about the project here: selfbuild.ie/project/passive-house-retrofit-monaghan/